Community events for the week of Monday, February 27th, 2017
Here’s what’s going on around the High Desert:
- Victor Valley Global Medical Center is assembling a team to walk in the 2017 Orange County Heart & Stroke Walk & 5k Run The event is at Anaheim Stadium 2000 E. Gene Autry Way, Anaheim on March 4, 2017. 5K Run starts at 7:30am and walkers start at 9:00am. If you are interested in joining the team please contact Team Captain LSullivan@KPCgm.com or EVindiola@VVGMC.com To donate visit www.VVGMC.com/AHAdonate
- Now until March 1, 2017…The B&N My Favorite Teacher Contest-Once again Middle and High School students can Nominate Their teachers for National, Regional and Local Award through Barnes & Nobles 7th annual “My Favorite Teacher Contest”-Middle School and High School students and active teachers employed in elementary, middle or high schools in the US are eligible to win.-for details on the contest rules and photos and the winning essay from 2016, visit www.bn.com/myfavoriteteacher
- Now until March 18…Early Bird Registration for the Superhero 5K-registration is now open for the Superhero 5k happening at Civic Plaza Park in Hesperia on April 26, 2017. Get the early bird price by signing up today.5k- Adults $25 kids $10. 1k 12 & under $10.-visit https://www.webscorer.com/register?raceid=90085&owner=1
- Open through March 25, 2017… Science on a Sphere 9:00 am to 5:00pm Tuesday thru Friday, 10:00am to 4:00pm Saturday and Sunday Harvey House 681 N. First Ave, Barstow, CA-$10 adults, $7. Seniors/Military $5. Students with ID-NASA exhibit features a 6 foot spherical display utilizing 4 video projectors to show planetary processes including effects of global climate change and more For more information visit: https://deepspace.jpl.nasa.gov/ http://www.gdscc.nasa.gov/
or contact Margaret Carter (760) 255-5109 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Now until the middle of March…Seeking Sponsors for Community Clean up-City of Victorville is seeking sponsors for the April 8th community cleanup project. Sponsors name is listed on the event t-shirt worn by hundreds of volunteers during the clean up, along with event fliers, posters and advertisements.-for more info about sponsorship lease call City of Victorville Environmental Programs Division at 760-955-3306
- Monday, February 27th…Free Veterans Dinner 6:30pm at the Victorville Masonic Lodge, 14941 Hesperia Rd, Victorville. The Keith Lee Seals Chapter of Demolay will be hosting a free spaghetti dinner for veterans. Dinner for all non-veterans is $5.00. Those interested in attending the event can RSVP by Calling Tony at 626-494-2659.
- Tuesday, February 28, 2017…Victor Elementary School District Teacher Career Fair 4:00pm to 7:00pm at Hilton Garden Inn, 12603 Mariposa Rd, Victorville. The purpose of this event is to recruit new teachers for the 2017/2018 school year and beyond. Representatives from the VESD personnel department, local universities and credential experts will be on hand to help guide you through the process. For additional information contact 760-245-1691 RSVP at www.vesd.net/personnel.
- Thursday, March 2nd through Sunday, March 5th…Monty Python’s SPAMalot 7:30pm Thursday through Saturday & 2:30 Sunday at VVC Performing Arts Center 18422 Bear Valley Rd, Victorville. VVC presents the Tony Award winning musical comedy inspired by King Arthur & his court. For tickets visit www.vvc.edu/tix or call 760-245-4271 extension 849. Parking permits required each night, except for Sunday’s showing.
- Fri, March 3rd, Sat., March 4th & Mon., March 6th…Jekyll & Hyde The Musical Friday 7:30p, Saturday 2:00pm and 7:30pn, Monday 7:00pm, at High Desert Center for The Arts 15615 8th St, Victorville. To purchase tickets call: 760-50-SHOWS – 760-507-4697.
- Saturday, March 4th…American Red Cross Life Guard Training Course 8:00am-10:00am at Spring Valley Lake Country Club, 13229 Spring Valley Pkwy, Victorville. The pre-assessment will be an in-water assessment of the candidates skills, all candidates must be at least 15 years old and pass the in-water skills pretest. The top 12 candidates will be admitted into the class. Register at Lime Street Park Community Center, 16292 Lime Street, Hesperia. For more info visit www.HesperiaParks.com or call 760-244-5488.
- Saturday, March 4th…Color Vibe 2017 Tour Victorville Run 9:00am to 11:00am High Desert Events Center 14800 Seventh St, Victorville -cost $45 before March 3rd and $65 on race day. Kids 12 and under are able to join for free. Portion of proceeds to benefit local charities. Classic runners kit includes a race shirt, color vibe tattoo, color pack, race bib, color vibe Sunglasses and a finisher’s medal. For info visit www.thecolorvibe.com.
- Saturday, March 4th…City of Victorville FREE Dump Day 8:00am to 1:00pm at the former Walmart parking lot, 15272 Bear Valley Rd, Victorville. Victorville residents only should bring a proof of address such as a water or utility bill. Disposal of garden trimmings, broken fences, old furniture, mattresses, appliances, extra trash, etcetera will be accepted. For more information about Free dump day and other recycling services call the City of Victorville Environmental Programs at 760-955-8615 or go to http://www.VictorvilleRecycles.com
- Saturday, March 4th…Go Red for Women 9:00am to 12:00pm at The Mall of Victor Valley 14400 Bear Valley Road, Victorville. This workshop can save a life. Includes hands on CPR, Heart Health, how to prevent a heart attack, identify warning signs, talk to a cardiologist, receive prizes and more. Also includes a Go Red Fashion Show. Free and open to the public. No registration required. Contact Andrea Pineda at 760-241-8000 extension 8568 for additional info.
- Saturday, March 4th…Laugh For A Cure 8:00pm to 11:00pm at the Holiday Inn 15494 Palmdale Road., Victorville. Comedy Night ticket purchases benefit the Relay for life in Barstow, Hesperia, Apple Valley and Hesperia chapters. 18 years and older only. Food and beverages available. $10.00 per ticket. For more info: Message: High Desert Relay for Life on Facebook.
- Sunday, March 5th…An Evening Affaire 7:00pm to 9:30pm at The Mall of Victor Valley 14400 Bear Valley Rd. Victorville -21 or older event features local cuisine, wine and beer to be showcased throughout the evening. An opportunity to relax and socialize with business associates and friends. Tickets must be purchased in advance for $35.00 a person. For information call 760-245-6506 .
- Tuesday, March 7th…Hire Live Career Fair 9:00am to 12:30pm at Double Tree Hotel, 222 N. Vineyard Ave, Ontario. For career seekers and candidates. Come meet with hiring managers from local, national, and Fortune 500 companies for free at our Inland Empire Job Fair. Recommended to bring 10-15 resumes and dress in business attire. Free entry and parking. Call 949-599-1870 for more info. Or visit www.hirelive.com.
- Tuesday, March 7th…Forum for Apple Valley Choice Energy –session #1 at 2:00pm, session # 2 at 6:00pm at Apple Valley Conference Center 14975 Dale Evans Pkwy., Apple Valley. To learn about the Choice Energy program, it’s benefits and all the choices available, the public is invited to attend this forum. A brief Q & A will be offered after presentation. For more information call 760-240-7000 extension 7522 or visit www.AVChoiceEnergy.com.
- Victor Valley Chamber of Commerce
- City of Victorville
- City of Victorville Recreation
- Apple Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Apple Valley Town Events
- Hesperia Chamber of Commerce
- Hesperia Recreation & Park events
- High Desert Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
→ Christy is the host of “Mornings with Christy,” Monday – Friday, 6:00 AM to 10:00 AM on Route 103-KVFG Victorville, a CBS Radio station. The Route Roundup is a community events calendar. Follow Route 103 KVFG on Twitter or like Route 103 KVFG on Facebook.